Thursday, September 4, 2014

Team Hoddy/Learning To Love

This is Jake's letter from August 25th....we didn't get a letter this week due to Labor Day:(
 


Family! This week has been a great week again. We got to go to the temple on Tuesday which was a great learning opportunity. On the way down we got to ride with a senior couple that is really close to the end of their missions. We got to ask them lots of questions about their lives and the changes they've seen in their mission. They said that the biggest thing they've learned in their mission is how to love. I was listening to this sweet Sister missionary and thinking, "You're a grandma! That's what I think of when I imagine a loving person! What do you mean you learned how to love? You've known for years!" I guess at the same time I knew we can all be better at being like Christ. They talked about all the great people they met on their mission and how much they truly care about them. After thinking about it I realized how much substance God gives us and how empty things are without him. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for (Heb 11:1). God is light. God is love. Darkness is the absence of light and hate is the absence of love. This couple was filled with joy and gratitude and I was amazed at what I was able to learn from them. Then while in the temple I was able to think and prioritize the things that are important in my life. There have been many times in my life where I have felt empty and didn't know how to fill the void. Heavenly Father has given me so much and changes my life every day. I am so grateful.
     We have a lady named Deeanna that we're meeting with and she is amazing! She is so in tune with the spirit and so excited about learning the gospel. The first week she went to church they sisters in relief society asked if she was visiting and she said, "No, I'm joining!" Haha perfect answer :) Yesterday we were talking with her and she felt really guilty because she had not kept one of her commitments, but then she said, "It's because I didn't read my scriptures last night. I didn't do the simple things". Those were beautiful words. It really does come down to the simple things that we do in life. Are we reading our scriptures, saying our prayers, and attending our church meetings? Do we want to be better? And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring about great things (1 Nephi 16:29). She is getting baptized at the end of September.
     Oh and of course I almost forgot to tell you about the best Birthday ever. The district here made Team Hoddy shirts and decorated our apartment with bunches of sticky notes and streamers and stuff. We taught some lessons and met some new people. It was fantastic. Then on our way home that night we stopped by the post office and the family package was there. It was all amazing! I'll throw some pics in.

     Thanks for everything you do! It's amazing to be part of this family... I love you all! HFF
-Elder Hoddy






No comments:

Post a Comment