Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Lesson In Gratitude

Family!

This week as a missionary was pretty special. But then again I guess every week is. I learned a lot about the greatness of God and what I still lack to become my best self. We all want greater faith, so I've been pondering about ways that I need to grow my faith. Of course the thought came that I need to start with desire and I didn't have enough desire therefore I wasn't doing enough to fuel my faith. I prayed throughout the week asking Heavenly Father to give me greater desire expecting that magically I would want to be the best missionary so badly. Nothing really changed a whole lot though. Finally, almost in frustration, I asked my Heavenly Father what I needed to do to grow desire. My answer came directly... Gratitude. My mistake was want want want without looking at everything that has already been given to me. He's been carrying me up the mountain and I'm not even taking the time to look back and enjoy the view. Although I was seeking good things, I was missing an important point. We don't need to be given more when we don't understand what we already have. In the last couple of days I have been able to focus on, remember, and cherish the goodness of God. The people we teach, the things we are learning, families, and the simple truths of this gospel.

On Saturday we met with the head pastor of a southern Baptist church to discuss the gospel. It was a wonderful experience as he shared testimony of the Savior and we were able to humbly feel the spirit enter into the room. We have many differences in belief, but we were able to put that aside and share with one another our love for Jesus Christ and what that means to us. At the end of the meeting he shared with us his painful experience of losing his 20 year old son 3 years ago. He still had a certain peace about him that I could tell came from his deep studies of the after life and his future relationship with his son, yet he missed the deep joy that comes from some of the simple truths of the gospel. We can live as families forever. Do we often take that for granted? Absolutely. We have been promised an incredible gift that most don't even begin to hope for. And our joyous responsibility as members of the church is to proclaim what others can have and become through their Savior Jesus Christ. Pastor Mark is a great man and someday he'll have the all the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He's not ready yet, but he'll continually be prepared. We must always have hope.

Remember, Remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation (Helaman 5:12)
I love you all! HFF!
-Elder Hoddy

No comments:

Post a Comment