Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Fruits of the Spirit; Love, Joy and Peace

Mom and Dad,
Hey so I totally forgot to bring my journal today, so hopefully I'll still remember what happened this week. Ok so Elder Nelson got the big transfer back to Utah this week. It's been so crazy not to have him here joking around and making us laugh. On Monday and Tuesday we were pretty much just visiting people and letting him say goodbye. It was pretty sad watching people cry that he was leaving. After we dropped him off everything seemed so weird. I still can't believe he's gone. I've been with him since I've been in Oklahoma and he's suddenly gone. Ha things have been great with me and Elder Anderson though. We had some awesome lessons this week and have been having a good time.
We were teaching a family this week and we read from the Book of Mormon in the most read chapter 1 Nephi 1. It was really good because we need them to start reading the Book of Mormon if they are ever going to be baptized. The mom asked if people not born into our church could be baptized. Ha kinda freaked us out because we got real excited. We had a great lesson with them and their kids were able to come to church the next day, but I guess the parents were busy. Missionary work has been so exciting lately. Everything seems so simple to me how our church is the only church that contains the fullness of the everlasting gospel, but often it is so hard for people to understand the importance.
Ok so this family in our ward gave me this really cool idea for FHE that they had tried. The parents pulled out PMG (Preach My Gospel) and talked about lesson 3 in chapter 3 and then had the kids teach it to each other. Haha they call their house a pre MTC now and the kids love it. We were giving them some quiz questions and it was pretty awesome.
That's so exciting that you all went to the temple together. I'm super jealous because we only get to go twice a year, but I'm happy that you got to go. I told Jace to go a while back, but he hardly ever emails me so we haven't talked a whole lot. Oh and that's awesome that you got called into the relief society this week. You're going to do great momma.
 
 There's a quote in Preach My Gospel that says, The Spirit is the most important single element in this work. With the Spirit magnifying your call you can do miracles for the Lord in the calling. Without the Spirit, you will never succeed regardless of you talent and abillity. Basically the Lord isn't asking us to be perfect servants. He's asking us to have the Spirit with us and do our best. In Galatians 5 it talks about the fruits of the Spirit being love, joy, peace, etc. As we strive to have these in our life and to bring them into the lives of the people around us, we are able to bless lives, and as others are lifted we are lifted as well. Ha it's kind of a nice little cycle how we help others and the Lord helps us. Haha oh and don't worry about saying I miss you. I know I'm supposed to be here and even though I wish I could be having fun at home with the fam, this is where I'm called to be and this is where I want to be. I love you both lots and I hope everything continues to go well. I pray for you each night, and I know you both are blessed for all the work you do.
Love,
Elder Hoddy

No comments:

Post a Comment