Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Goobye President Taylor, Hello President Walkenhorst

Dear Hoddys,
This week has been the best ever. The ward members are super awesome and they love me and Elder Nelson, we committed a girl named Bethany to baptism with the date of August 3rd, we got invited to a Roman Catholic church with some of my favorite people in the world, I got attacked by a 80 year old lady with Alzheimer, and overall it seemed like we just spend most of our days laughing.
The week started off well because we got to play soccer for P-day which was a blast. Then we had dinner with some of my fave members which was super awesome. We were talking about how to get home because they live like 10 miles away, and I just had a great idea of how everything would work and it totally made sense in my head, then my companion suggested something else that sounded super stupid to me because the sisters were going to stop at an appointment and we were going to walk the rest of the way home. I trust my companion a lot though so we did that and while we were walking home there were a bunch of people on a porch, so we went up and talked to them and met Bethany. She's this super awesome 19 year old girl who has lived a pretty tough life growing up in the foster system and stuff. We talked to her for a while and she wanted us to come back. We went back later in the week and she's super excited about the stuff we talk to her about and I can already see how the gospel is blessing her life and how much more it will bless her life. The next time we talked to her we committed her to a baptismal date and I'm pretty confident that she'll keep it. It seems like these kind of faith building experiences are happening every day in my life. It is so fun to see how the Lord works. Our mission president said that missionary work is the Lord's work. He uses us so we can become better in the process. The Lord could easily convert anyone he wanted to, but missionary work is another way that we as his children can build faith and have good opportunites to grow. I love it :)
Ok so there's this LA member in our ward that we love to visit because she's kinda crazy, but she's so awesome! She's super into native american culture and she tells us all these cool things. We went over this week and she had built a huge medicine wheel in her back yard and she had us walk around it and explained how it worked and stuff. We keep trying to get her to come to church and I really hope she does, but dang it is so fun just to go over there and see what she has to teach us.
Our new mission president got here this week which was super sad because President Taylor is an amazing man, but President Walkenhorst is so awesome. He is 7 feet tall so every time I talked to him it was like looking to the peak of Everest... jk but he's ridiculously tall. The Walkenhorsts are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They spoke at a youth conference and we took one of our investigators so we got to go. We had a dinner after and a couple of the mia maids came up to me and were talking to me and then told President Walkenhorst that they wanted me sent to their ward because I was a Hottie. That is like the very situation that mission presidents try to avoid so I'm pretty sure I will never be sent to that ward. Haha Elder Nelson was super funny about it though.
On Saturday we got to do tornado cleanup again which was super exciting. I used to be exhausted when we would go down everyday, but it's been a while so it was such a good break from the normal proselyting days. We were cleaning up trees for most of the time and there was a broken tree surrounded by a bunch of bushes that was right next to a greenhouse, so we cleared away the bushes and there were all these little kittens. They were super cute and we had a lot of fun playing around with them. The owners of the property were pretty excited about it and we had some good conversations with them. These tornadoes and service opportunities are amazing.
Oklahoma has been such a good experience for me so far. My testimony grows everyday and I get to see the light that the gospel brings. Just remember that nothing will ever make you as happy as living the gospel. If you try to do things that invite the Spirit into your life you will find love, peace, and joy (Galatians 5:22-23). I love to hear from all of you and it's so fun to see how your life is going. I miss talking to you so much, but I know we have eternity to spend together. I'm here because I wanted others to have that too. You are the best parents I ever could have asked for and the best siblings.
I love you all,
Elder Hoddy

No comments:

Post a Comment