Thursday, November 6, 2014

We Don't Know, ButThere Is Someone Who Does

We had a pretty special experience with two of our investigators. We went over for a lesson to talk about church and the blessing it would be for this family, but sensing contention we quickly abandoned our lesson plan and opened up to 2 Nephi 2.
6)Wherefore, redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah, for he is full of grace and truth. 7)Behold he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit, and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.
We began talking about what it means to have a broken heart and contrite spirit, and we could see the mood in the room change. They seemed open to what the spirit was teaching them, but there was still a lot of sadness. Through her tears the wife said, "I've been praying and I don't feel like this is the man God wants me to be with. What should I do?"
Elder Holman and I sat there thinking. We are not marriage counselors. We've never been married. We don't know the circumstances. And we really didn't know what she should do. Our response was the only one we knew. "We don't know, but there is someone who does." We proceeded to drop to our knees and pray with this young couple for help. After the prayer there was an immediate peace that filled the room.
It is sometimes sad to see because we know that if we had been there 6 months earlier they could have applied gospel principles into their own life and become capable of overcoming challenges.
Alma 26:12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things...
Heavenly Father knows us in our individual situations and wants to help us get through them, but first we must ask for help.
Thank you for being righteous examples of living the gospel. I love you both.
-Elder Hoddy

No comments:

Post a Comment